ORCA represents more than 92% of the retirement home sector in Ontario, with 574 member homes providing accommodation and services to more than 52,000 seniors. ORCA’s membership also includes more than 260 commercial members who provide products and services to retirement communities across the province.
Member homes are diverse in both size and in the choices and options they offer to residents. Licensed retirement homes provide accommodation and services to as few as 6 to as many as 200 residents depending on the size of the home. They can be part of large chains, a smaller local chain or can be independently operated. All retirement homes in Ontario are licensed (or in the process of being licensed) by the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA).
Members of our association believe in the value of being a part of a community of retirement home operators who share a common goal to provide quality, comfortable and enriching experiences for older seniors.
In order to obtain and maintain their membership, ORCA operator members must subscribe to our Member Values.
ORCA Member Values
As a member of the Ontario Retirement Communities Association, we uphold and affirm our responsibilities to our residents by subscribing to the following values:
- We believe in quality of life for all residents that encompasses their right to dignity, respect, choice, privacy and autonomy.
- We respect the cultural, social and religious diversity of our residents and employees.
- We are committed to maintaining a high standard of professional conduct and act with integrity, honesty, openness and fairness when interacting with residents, families, employees and other operators and businesses.
- We provide our employees with the tools and training they need to perform their roles.
- We safeguard the well-being of our residents and employees.
- We provide a respectful workplace and seek to hire employees with good moral character, appropriate experience, competence and compassion.
- We comply with all relevant municipal and provincial regulations governing our operations.
- We engage in fair marketing practices and will only participate in activities that are a credit to the sector at large.