- ORCA is a voluntary non-profit association that represents operators of retirement residences in Ontario.
- ORCA was founded in 1977 and was originally named the Ontario Long Term Residential Care Association, then the Ontario Residential Care Association.
- There are approximately 700 licensed retirement homes in Ontario.
- Across the province, 574 retirement homes are ORCA members.
- Member homes provide accommodation and services to more than 52,000 seniors, more than 92 per cent of the suites in the retirement home sector in Ontario.
- Our member homes are diverse, ranging in size from 10 to 300+ residents.
- ORCA’s membership also includes 260 commercial members who provide products and services to retirement communities.
- All retirement homes are now regulated under the Retirement Homes Act, and licensed and inspected by the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA)
- Before the implementation of the Retirement Homes Act (RHA), ORCA set the standard for operational excellence through its accreditation program.